Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hail the Conquering Heroes

It's hard to find blogging time amidst being glued to Channel 6 for the past week, but I'm finally getting back to you about our Opening Ceremony Shindig. 

It went well. There were only 5 members in attendance...one of whom actually went to bed before the party got started. I know, we're total party animals. But despite the small crowd, we partied Olympic style.
Admission Fee: One Olympic Tattoo.
We all had one on our cheeks. Eden sported it on her guns...


That's right. We tattooed our baby. Turn us in now folks. Granted it washed off that night in her bubble bath, but still she had Olympic fever too.

If you missed the Opening Ceremony, where were you? Seriously. Could you have had anything better to do that night? It was absolutely incredible. And I don't know if it's possible to feel pride for a nation you no longer live in and aren't a native of, but we felt so much pride for China. The drums. The yellow glowing men. The fireworks. The huge globe. All...just incredible. There's no other word for it. Sure it cost a couple hundred million to pull it off...but well, it was sheer awesomeness. 
And if you did happen to miss it, let us know. Because we recorded it.
On to my next Olympic sized thought...
How is it that the President of the most influential country on earth can be sitting on the other side of the planet, attending the Opening Ceremony with rolled up sleeves, and still make you feel like he's your long lost best friend? Seriously, how does Bush do it? He's sitting there watching Kerry Walsh slam it down and he leaves you saying, "Well hey. There's George and Laura chilling at Chao Yang park." I just don't get it. I mean, I've not lived through that many presidents, but I'd be willing to bet that there haven't been too many presidents in the history of the US of A that make you feel like you've known em forever. Do the Russians look at Putin and say, "Oh good. Vladdie made it today." I don't know. But it baffles me how personable our President can be. Maybe it's because he's from Texas. :)

And finally...Michael Phelps. His name alone makes you feel like you should stand for the National Anthem. He's the epitomy of the perfect athlete that makes you swell with American pride. And his gold medal saga has now caused us to wake up Eden. Twice. The men's 4x100 relay the other night had me burying my face in hands out of anticipation and then when they won both Brandon and I leapt off the couch throwing our hands in the air, and shouted. Last night was a replay of that action as he won the 100 m fly. And we woke up Eden each time. woops. It was, yes I'll say this word one more time, incredible. 

1 comment:

Merissa said...

I'll have to say, we're starting to get black circles under our eyes because we just don't want to cut the tv off at night! But...we haven't woken any of our kids up! :)