Yesterday was one of those days. A whiney day. Eden wasn't crying, but she wasn't happy either. She was just whiney. We tried the bouncer, the swing, reading books, belly time, back time, playmat, pacifier, lights off, more clothes, less clothes...all to no avail. She just wanted to whine.
By the time dinner rolled around, my nerves were rattled enough that I just thought we'd whine together. I picked her up, put on some twangy (whiney) country music and did the Texas Two-Step together around the living room. She LOVED it. Sure the kiddo was born in Thailand and currently resides in China, but she's truly a Texan at heart. She was enjoying that two-step action and within 5 minutes was sleeping like...well, sleeping like a baby.
I always knew my parents taught me some excellent tactics for child-rearing, but who would have thought those Two-Step lessons from my daddy would come in handy with my little girl?!
So we danced, and continued to dance while Brandon finished frying up our tortillas for tacos (it was an all-around Texas night). And by the time we'd gone through six or seven songs, she'd had herself a long enough cat-nap to be happy the rest of the evening.
Call it colic, call it a gassy belly, call it overtired, wired, or just a whiney baby...but I'm pretty sure she just needed some time to return to her Texas roots and dance in her momma's arms.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Texas Two-Step
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
How fun :) Aashini likes when I dance with her... but she never falls alseep when I do it - maybe I should learn a little Texas two-step :) How fun :) I think we might need to see a video of that :)
Yes, definitely a video,
A book we've been reading would classify the two-step under "jiggling" or "swinging" (lots of different kinds of jiggles and swings you can do with a baby...every baby has a couple they prefer) It was fun to read this post...it sounded like one of the "success stories/testimonies" from the book on how to properly and creatively jiggle/swing your baby:)
oh...and I like the new look of the blog. Is red considered an "Auspicious" color there? Cuz if so, your blog is way-auspicious:)
Maybe you could try dad's wrist dance next time and see if that has any magic in it. ;)
that is so fun- josiah loves country music - if he is fussy, we can turn up the country music and he calms down and sleeps so soundly when it is blasting in his little ears...
Post a Comment