Monday, January 28, 2008

Crispety Crunchety Peanut-Buttery

We've been to a lot of places.
We've handled a lot of money.
The Euro.
Hong Kong Dollar.
Canadian Dollar.
Australian Dollar.
Thai Baht.
Chinese Yuan.
Korean Won.
Indian Rupee.

But this past week a new currency was born in the Chancler household.

It all began one Monday morning when the post office ladies informed us that we had a package awaiting our eager little hands. Soon after we opened it, our eyes gleamed with excitement. My mom sent us four of the much coveted Butterfinger candy bars. Brandon immediately decided he was going to use at least one for making his own version of a "blizzard." I thought about eating one the way my sister eats them...first by licking all of the chocolate off and then chomping down on the crispety crunchety part. But we decided to wait a little while before indulging.

That evening was also another much anticipated event. Rachel C's Masterpiece Quesadillas. (I know, we talk about food a lot) It was going to be my first attempt at the cheesy folded goodness. And I worked hard...because I had a lot to live up to. First came the homemade tortillas, then the slicing of onions and bell peppers, then frying up in precious olive oil. I did it just as I'd been so carefully taught. I even whipped up some homemade guacamole with our frozen stash of avocados. I went all out.
And they turned out amazing...even if I do say so myself. There's no way they were better than the Mastermind herself :) but they were really good.


So on with the story.
Brandon eyed them carefully, his palate remembering back to the day we first tasted the Masterpiece Quesadilla. I could see on his face that he was questioning whether they'd really be Masterpiece quality or not. He slathered on some guacamole and two bites in he mumbled through a full bite, "Oh my gosh. Holy crap. I have a new favorite. And just for this, I'm paying you half of one of my Butterfingers."

And so the Chancler Butterfinger was born. And our economy thrived for several days as we went on a spending spree of Butterfingers. But it's as they say...All good things must come to an end. We spent our remaining Butterfinger last night after Brandon brought home two cups of McDonald's ice cream. We chopped up the last one (something I don't recommend doing to the currency you are currently using) and sprinkled it ever so carefully over the vanilla ice cream.


So we're butterfinger-broke now, but it was our favorite currency we've ever owned. The most fun kind. The edible kind.

5 comments:

Anthony and Sharon said...

Holy Cow. I want butterfinger so bad now. I doubt it'll be as easy as taking some cash to the local currency exchange guy...plus even if he had a Chancler Butterfinger, he'd probably jip me on the exchange rate.

That ice-cream looks a little bit too good. Just last night we were discussing with some other Americans the foolish decision of the McDonald's company to do away with Butterfinger McFlurries...they were always my favorite.

No lie. Anthony is on his way to McD's right now and I called him to get me an oreo McFlurry.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

awesome! Man that looks sooo good!! THat butterfinger ice cream looks AWESOME! and the quesdillia! man! you're killing me!!! YUM!!!
I wish our McDonald's had icecream or mcflurries - you guys are klling me :) haha!

Anonymous said...

haha!!! guess what we just bought at Sultan Center yesterday? TWO BUTTERFINGERS!!!! The only ones they had in the whole store (probably in the country) and we bought them!!! we still have one left!!!!

C-Love said...

I got a package from my grandma before Christmas and I got all giddy when my eyes lighted upon a 12 pack of Butterfingers. I was soon to be utterly disappointed when I realized they were Butterfinger wafers. Some strange Butterfinger, Kit Kat love-child. They're worthless in any country.

Bekah Schaub said...

Mmmmm... edible currency. I think it's brilliant but somehow, though, i don't think it would last. ;)

You know me, I'm a sucker for a butterfinger.