Friday, January 11, 2008

Got Frozen Milk?

Has your kitchen ever been so cold that it freezes the items INSIDE your refrigerator? No? Well, welcome to our world. This morning we got two surprises...
Surprise #1: A nice thin layer of snow covering the ground. The first snow we've seen in Silk City!
Surprise #2: Frozen milk inside our refrigerator.

Our kitchen got so cold over night that even the food inside our quaint little ice box was frozen.
Here's a look at our kitchen:

Our kitchen is on the other side of that door. And it's literally freezing out there. It's closed off from the rest of our apartment. I'm not sure why the Chinese designed apartments this way (note: not all of them are this way)...I personally think it's an evil ploy to make people lose weight. (like the Chinese really need that!) Because really, what sane person is going to want to fry up an egg for breakfast in a kitchen that is below freezing? Our breakfast habits have really gone downhill since winter arrived...not exactly a healthy diet plan. Brandon has to put on his thermal underwear if he wants coffee in the morning! And the last few days I've cooked dinner with my coat on. I'm pretty sure that's not what the creator's of North Face had in mind when creating their "Denali" fleece. But on a positive note: our stove really is similar to a Coleman Camping Stove, so it's only appropriate that we truly get into the camping spirit by donning our winter camping gear!
Anyways, we've turned up the temp inside our refrigerator to let things thaw out a little. And there's really no use for our freezer right now. We could set everything out on the counter and it would be just fine. And you can imagine how the dishes pile up in the sink...washing them isn't easy when you have to wear a parka.

3 comments:

Anthony and Sharon said...

wow. most definitely something we'll never have to deal with. For several months now we've had "kitchen fan" on our list of things to buy because using the stove at all means sweating or sweating even more:) But having a baby means it moves down on the list every time we have money to buy stuff...so we just move the one from our office in during dinner time...it's amazing what becomes "normal"!!!

SouthAsiaRocks said...

oh wow!! I can't imagine... We have the total opposite problem here... our kitchen is over 100 degrees in the summer - who wants to cook over the fire when it's that hot!
I think we need a pic of you guys all bundled up and cooking... :)

Bekah Schaub said...

hehe. Parka. I think you should make up a "cooking eggs in my parka" song. I'd like to hear it.