Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eden is FIVE

Our precious Eden Grace turned five today. FIVE! I can't believe it.

Turning five in our house is a coming of age in the realm of cokes. (pop, soda...depending on where you live). Given the opportunity to choose five drinks to try on her birthday, she chose cherry coke, dr. pepper, sprite, orange fanta, and regular coke. She had to inform us months ago of her choices because when you live in middle-of-nowhere-city-of-6-million-people-China, these things take planning. The Dr. Pepper and cherry coke had to be imported from somewhere. But we were successful!

And the winner is...
Photobucket

Earlier in the week we had a birthday party at the kids' preschool. I told the teachers I'd most likely just pick up a cake and bring it that morning to share with everyone. This is pretty selfish of me...but I didn't want to spend time and effort (and special imported ingredients) on making a cake that I figured the vast majority of the students would insist was too sweet, too chocolaty, or too rich. But Eden's head teacher just about had a cow. She insisted that I make and bring Eden's cake. Why? Because I made her son's birthday cake and because every knowledgeable local person here knows that western cakes and cookies are far better than what you can buy locally. I promise I'm not being a bakery snob or priding my own cooking. This is just how it is. Once they've tasted real cake or cookies, they can't go back to the local Chinese bakery junk. I liken Chinese cakes to eating colorful cardboard. They are so pretty and look soooooo yummy. But truly, they are deceptive little things.

So, a cookie cake it was.
Photobucket

And all the little attendants and teachers loved it...including Eden.
Photobucket

We had another little party that evening for her so she could invite some other friends. Her request was a princess cake with Belle, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty on it. I convinced her that a crown cake was just as good and less likely to make mommy go insane.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My goal for her birthday was to make her a dress up wedding dress that she's been asking me to make her for several months.
Photobucket

She was ecstatic. Which of course made my heart so happy.
Photobucket

Sweet girl, lets make it another 20 years before we take your picture in a wedding dress again, mmmkay?

Photobucket


It's been five full years of laughter. pink. challenges. smiles. bows. tears. boo-boos. joy.
We praise God for his precious gift of our Eden Grace!




6 comments:

Sara Beth said...

SO beautiful! Love the dress up wedding dress! And you did a great job on both cakes!

The Reeds said...

Happy birthday Eden! Her dress (and cakes) look awesome. You did a good job mommy. I've made several from scratch cakes and icing and am just now getting to where they are acceptable. I've put some real monsters on the table. Yours look great!

Anthony and Sharon said...

Dude. I'm totally getting nostalgic and teary eyed. 5 years? Really? How can such a long period of time go by so quickly?
Happy Birthday Eden!!! (I'll tell Isaac he has to wait to propose until you're 25)

Kevin Schaub said...

Thanks for the voicemail last night. I didn't answer because the number was from like central California, so I thought it was some shady agent trying to get me to play the lead role in Rocky 7.

We'll try to get a hold of y'all tonight or something.

Love you!

Kevin

Kathie (Mom) said...

The wedding dress is just wonderful. You can tell she adores it. She makes a beautiful bride---yikes!

Damon and Erin said...

Beautiful girl... I did good and didn't cry through the whole blog until that last sentence...Thanks a lot, April :)