Saturday, January 07, 2012

A Christmas Re-Do

Let's pretend it's December 27th. The hype and busyness of Christmas day has waned just a little. Everyone's pants are fitting just a tad tighter (but they're new pants that you unwrapped on Christmas day so it doesn't really matter...) and finally it's time for everyone to post pictures on their blogs of kids in Christmas pjs, festivities, parties, family gatherings, etc...

Great! I'm so glad I'm not late. Because, after all, how embarrassing would that be?!?!

Photobucket

That photo is about how every photo is looking these days; Salem with some sort of injury to his face (carpet burn on his nose this time), Eden generally overwhelming her baby brother, and Caleb a bit awestruck by it all.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Why is it that you don't understand the trouble your mom went through to do certain things for you as a kid until you attempt to do it as a parent?!
Hey mom, what were you thinking doing this with us every year?! Man, you were a sucker for pain! :)

Photobucket

But it was still fun (for me and a friend) to make it. And it was fun for Eden and Salem to eat lick every piece of candy that went on their respective side of the roof.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turns out, the Gingerbread House was the main attraction at our Christmas party with Eden's preschool teachers. A tiny house made out of cookies, icing, and candy?! They loved it! and what's not to love?  oh yeah...the cesspool of germs living on it. Oh well. It was still fun to look at.

Photobucket

Eden's teachers are all so fab. And not once did they make fun of us for having crappy language skills. In fact they were super kind, obliged us in our silly Christmas trivia games, and cheerfully ate every single chicken salad sandwich.

Photobucket

I'm posting this next picture not because I want you to be sure and notice that I've soooooo NOT lost my baby weight, but so that you can see Eden's preschool teacher. This lady blesses me more than she can know.

Photobucket

After all the Christmas cheer began turning into New Year's cheer, and our Gingerbread House had served it's purpose, we made sure to dispose of it in a completely responsible way...

by giving our 4 and 2 year olds a hammer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was right up Salem's alley. All of his little boy power, tongue and all, poured right into that hammer.

Photobucket

Next year, I'm sure they'll gladly build another Gingerbread house, not only for the candy, but because of the fun it holds even after all the Christmas festivities have come and gone.

5 comments:

Leslie S said...

You are a totally fun mom for going through the torture of a gingerbread house AND then letting them smash it with a hammer. The hammer part adds a unique twist on the annual tradition that I imagine the kids will remember for years to come. I just LOVE the arrangement of pictures of the kids over your sofa...how is it done exactly? Like what are they printed on? Of course if you answer here I have to remember to come back and look for the answer. :)

Morello Madness said...

You Rock!! I love your gingerbread house! I can't believe you didn't eat it!! We always chop ours up and use it as cereal! :) It made a delightful breakfast! (I never ate but my kids loved it.) And, your real house looks really nice too! I love looking in the background of your pics to see what you have hanging on the walls! I can't wait to see it in person!

The Reeds said...

Right there with you on the baby weight gain. But slowly and steadily right? ugh. BUT I love the first pic of Caleb! He's growing sooo much!And the last pic of Eden is priceless. You are right on time. Love that you shared a party with all of the teachers. As a teacher (ish??), I thank you!!

Anthony and Sharon said...

So. Many. Pictures. I love it! Your kids are beautiful and you are too (baby weight?! Whatev...)

Kevin and Becky said...

And why wasn't I invited to the hammer show down? Well, at least there's next year...