Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year

On Sunday night, the night of non-stop 5 hours of fireworks, Chinese New Year, I was fully expecting myself to be a completely grouchy, foreign, white-lady, irritated mess.


But when midnight rolled around and our children were soundly sleeping in their beds and all around us were the sounds of war-fare, we sat in our windowsill in awe of the bright lights, in awe of the noise, and laughing hysterically at the utter drama of it all.

It was our first time to be in country for Chinese New Year, and we truly enjoyed it. We started the evening off at a friend's house, eating local food, watching the Chiense equivalent of the "Ball Drop" on tv, and blowing up fireworks in the middle of the city streets. (of which Salem was definitely not a fan of...as you can see in the video)

3 hours later, at 9:30 at night, we decided bedtime was futile for the kids, so we popped in a Disney movie, and let them watch until they fell asleep. Truly, they couldn't hear much of the movie because of the noise going on outside. 
At midnight they brought out the big guns and lit up the sky outside our apartment with fireworks that are illegal to shoot off in the city limits in The States. (and after they nearly shot out windows in our apartment complex, I can understand why! :)  With no fire bans or fireworks restrictions, the next morning our apartment complex looked like a black cat graveyard!

Enjoy the video!

8 comments:

The Reeds said...

Wow... Simply.. Wow. That is madness!! And yes.. we would love to come and see you. :) April I love how much of your experiences you share. It's such a treat!

Anthony and Sharon said...

Love the video. As I'm typing this firecrackers (which in my opinion are the loudest...even more annoying than the big ones) are going off outside. There is a Disney movie in now bc, you guessed it, nap time was cut short! So neat to see them light up the apt buildings!! Gong xi fa cai!

mel said...

That's nuts!

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

Great video! I read that one of the big Beijing hospitals was going to have FOURTEEN opthamologists on staff New Year's Night because of all the anticipated eye injuries. CRAZY!

Damon and Erin said...

That is CRAZY!!! I loved watching the video. It was neat seeing the outside of your apartment too! :)

Leslie S said...

Wow! It's hard to comprehend. So glad it was all "friendly fire"!

CAL said...

I loved the video...and it was so good to hear a Brandon laugh. I felt like I was able to enter a litte bit of your world by seeing the outside of your home. Yay!!

And can I add a comment about the pictures below?? Is that even allowed? The one of you holding Caleb, well that just captures your beauty and heart my friend...you are one incredible Momma!! Such a handsome baby boy, i bet you just want to hold him every second. Can't wait to see you five!

Oh, and one additional comment so I can make this the longest one ever! The fish story, somehow I had missed that. HILARIOUS!! So Chiner.

Rachel said...

I'm pretty sure Ali would have been scared to death!!