Spend nine hours in a Big Chicken airport with three children under 4.
No seriously. Go try it.
Because I'd really like to know if it's possible for anyone else to come away from it a sane person.
Last week, we were fortunate enough to have such an experience. Record breaking fog (yes...I know that sounds completely made up) delayed a recent trip to Hong Kong by three days. For one of those days we were in the country illegally.
Well ok. Maybe that's not entirely true.
But it's so much more fun to say.
Our visa expired and we had to leave the country, (for some reason, Hong Kong counts) but because of the 3 day flight delay we supposedly got a visa extension.
I'd like to think that they gave us the extension because of the kindness in their hearts and not because some random cranky white woman almost went ape on them because she'd been entertaining toddlers with pay phones and duty free stuffed pandas for nine hours.
But after all of our travel, our kids feel right at home in airports.
Don't believe me?
Ask Salem.

Plus, it afforded me plenty of time to take another picture of my favorite sign in China.

Eden, truly didn't miss a beat. She loves airports and thought that a nine hour flight delay was completely normal. She passed the time by actually partaking of the free meal they passed around.

That photo says so much about my daughter. The mastery level of chopstick skill.
The mantou bun she's eating, of which I've never acquired the taste for. The peace sign she's flashing at the camera, something she's seen every chinese person under the age of 23 do when a picture is taken.
But alas, after three days back home (and not unpacking the suitcases) we headed back to the airport to attempt our trip again. This time, success!
Turns out, Caleb takes after his sister and is comatose on airplanes.

The other two might as well be too.

We spent four days in Hong Kong, one of our favorite cities in the world.
Choice mode of travel in Hong Kong: MTR. of which Eden is becoming quite an expert!

I guess if I were going to be stuck in an airport with three kids for 9 hours, I wouldn't rather it be with anyone else. They're pretty great travelers!
Up next...Hong Kong DISNEY!
Friday, December 16, 2011
When life hands you travel delays...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
You'll love HK Disney if you've never been there before!!! Yikes! I think that sign is actually warning to use paper sparingly...but BUMF is so much cooler. Don't dare waste it!
I just have so many things to say about this post, but first of all -
How can you not like mantous?? Delicious. I crave them. :)
Secondly - your kids are so cute! I think we should be friends. :)
Thirdly - Hong Kong Disney!! I always wanted to do that as a kid. You and B are cool parents. :)
Let me tell you that my stomach ached as I read about 9 hours in the airport. Oh, friend. Glad you had some free mantou to pass the time.
Eden's chopstick hand is so yummy. I mean, I'm beyond impressed at her skill level, but her little hand just looks SO relaxed holding that bun.
And your hair looks extra blonde and extra hott in the last picture. Caleb and all those blankets around him looks SOOOO snuggly. Can you please keep him little so I can snuggle him when I see him?
Can't wait for Qisnep pics!
And who are you to kua me for being super-China woman? You, my friend, have mastered a feat I have not. Though I will say that I don't think mantou is so bad...
April Eve, you look gorgeous in that last picture!!!
Avery says "I hope you had fun and you look pretty...oh, and tell her it is snowing here!"
I also have many things to say about this post
First, mantous are for the second generation in country, not the first.
Second, I know that you would be great friends with our kids and maybe even us, if we were all closer
Third, I wanted to take my kids to HKDisney, but they were already a little old and busy with school when it opened...
(Did I mention that I love you guys?)
Post a Comment