Monday, December 19, 2011

Qisnep

When I was a kid I always thought that the 'D' in Disney's logo was a 'Q'.  One of those fancy, cursive 'Q's I guess.
I figured it was one of those tricky english language things like a silent Q that sounds more like a D type of thing.
oh that doesn't exist? Well as an 8 year old it did.
And a friend always thought the 'Y' was a 'P'.
Apparently that's Disney's one fault. They're catering to an audience that, truly, can barely read.

But of the many things they're doing right: Hong Kong Disney.
I'll admit that I was skeptical. Sure it's Disney, so it should be awesome...but it's still in Asia. I know, that's sounds so very...ummm...American of me. But that's just me being honest. I wasn't expecting the fabulousness of Orlando to have stretched all the way to HK.
Lo and behold, good ole Walt pulled it off. When the Christmas parade starting coming down Disney's "Main Street" and everyone was happier than what should be legally permissible, I got all teary eyed. Sure, Disneyland is fun as a kid. But I'm convinced it's more fun as an adult. Seeing my kids wave at the princesses, give Pluto hugs, and dance with sugar plum fairies was more than my camera could handle.

Here's a glimpse of our day.
Photobucket

Started the day off all bright and cheery eyed...or maybe that's just sun in their eyes...

Photobucket

We arrived just in time for a Christmas parade.
Photobucket

See that smirk on my face? That smirk says, "oh...uh...I just realized I'm the only parent out here dancing and acting like a fool."  My bad. I thought they were inviting me to come dance, when apparently they were probably only inviting my cute, blonde kids.

Photobucket

The parades were probably our favorite part.
These images will forever be frozen in my brain.
Photobucket

Her giddiness. Her wave at all the characters. The way she turned around and announced to me every "person" that she saw. It was so much fun to watch her.

Photobucket

It was a gorgeous day, despite being a bit chilly.
Caleb was less than impressed. Poor buddy...I promise to take you back someday when you actually care about Buzz Lightyear.
Photobucket

HK Disney has recently opened up a big Toy Story Land. It was the one area of the park where I felt that they fell short. Our kids were too young for all the "rides" so we didn't stay in this area very long. Just long enough to snap a picture with Rex.

Photobucket

The whole area is meant to look like it's in Andy's back yard. But in my opinion it just looks like Walt needs to dust off his lawnmower and get to work.


If you ever visit HK Disney, one thing you should know: GROWN UPS stand in line to see Mickey and Minnie. I take that back. They stand in line to see all the characters. I'm talking 54 year old men in business suits. Does this happen at Disneyworld? I can't remember. None the less, I thought it was weird. And then they thought it was weird that I didn't want my OWN picture taken with Minnie.

Eden's favorites were of course the princesses.
Photobucket

Salem was less than impressed. He wears his emotions on his sleeve.

Scratch that. He just says exactly what he's feeling. Right about this time he informed Snow White, "you scary." Yes, this movie has scarred him for life.

Photobucket

Really, he was thinking that he'd just rather go back and see Winnie the Pooh again.

Photobucket

I can't blame him. I was kind of envious of Pooh and his big furry yellow suit. It was pretty chilly out there!
Salem was smitten with Pooh. His eyes say it all. He gave Pooh a "present leaf" and hasn't forgotten about it.
Photobucket

I loved that Pluto had a touch of Asian flair to him.
Photobucket


It was such a fun day. One that I hope our kids have fond memories of...or at least enjoy seeing the pictures someday. We did the tea cup spinning thing and Salem almost vomited. Maybe he won't have fond memories of that part. The day ended with the two "big" kids asleep in the stroller, Caleb asleep on me, and Brandon and I nearly falling asleep in the subway. = Success!

Photobucket

6 comments:

alwaysjoyfuldejs said...

FUN! Do they still have the honeypot ride?

Rachel said...

How fun! We really need to do the whole Disney thing.. thus far I've been a total wuss and haven't made it happen.

Doug and Terri said...

Boy, did this bring back memories or what?! I loved all your Disney pics. SO cute. I'm so glad you had such a good time and that you felt good enough to dance in the parade! :0) I loved Salem's present leaf. How precious.
Love you,
Terri :0)
(Glad you had bacon wrapped green beans! We will have to get those in this week, too.)

Sara Beth said...

I love HK Disney because its the perfect size for our age of kids. Its not too overwhelming. You can do the whole park and feel like you "got your money's worth" without killing the family! We've been two times over the past couple years. My kids are asking when we can go again! Too bad there are not any trips to HK on the radar for the near future! Oh and the thing about having to fight the line of 20-something year old girls and guys for half an hour so my kids can have a picture with the cartoon character has also seemed very backwards to me! Oh Asia!

Anthony and Sharon said...

My brain is exploding with Qisnep goodness.
Leaf present? Holy cannoli its a must that my children go there!
For the record, that's the prettiest Snow White I've ever seen.
Iiiiii will dance with you...er...um, I mean, take my kids out to dance with the characters with you.
If you posted another Disneyland blog, I wouldn't complain.

Damon and Erin said...

How fun!! I loved Salem's face looking up at Pooh! How precious! I'm so glad you guys were finally able to go and that it was a super fun day!