Sunday, November 08, 2009

Crafty Shmafty

Let's get one thing straight...I'm not bragging. I'm truly not that crafty.
I just occasionally get inspired and maybe a little in over my head.

That being said, this past weekend I took part in the SEBTS Craft and Bake Sale.
soooooo fun. Mainly because friends are awesome and it was fun doing this together.

So my inspiration for deciding to take part in the craft show thing, was these.
(side note...etsy is wayyyyyy addicting!)
Aren't they so adorable! So I was maybe a little egotistical and thought to myself, "I should do that!" So I set out on a croc-crocheting adventure.
Let's back up a bit.

Several years ago I spent the summer in Tasmania, Australia working in a church. One of our community outreach projects was to host a crafting afternoon for senior citizens. I learned to make what I like to call my "holy grail goblet" using a wood spinner thing. fun times. But I also learned to crochet, along with several 60 and 70 year old women. I know. I'm too cool for school. I started out with simple scarfs...moved on to baby blankets...you get the idea.

Fast forward to now.
How I got it in my head I could all of a sudden follow a pattern after little to no crochet knowledge, I don't know. But I dove in. And after about 4 croc-duds, I got the hang of it!
Photobucket cherry chip

Pink Sunflower some girly styles

And then I got bored with crocs and needed something else.
Well that and Brandon reminded me of the fundamentals of economics, that you gotta have some variety if you want people to buy something.

So I set out on crochet journey #2. And struck gold.
Aren't those A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E. ?!?!? Yeah, I agree. People are so creative. How these ladies come up with these patterns is beyond me. They must not have 2 kids. :)
*insert picture here of Eden and her new mommy-made hat!* (woops)

So I whipped out 10 or so hats for the SEBTS sale, 12 or so pairs of baby-crocs, toted my goods and myself up to the sale and set up shop.
My sweet and oh-so-incredibly-crafty friend shared a table with me. Her stuff is so cute!! Isn't that onesie and tutu with matching wand soooo precious?!
crafty

display

Let's also be clear about the fact that I DO NOT work for the actual creators of crocs, and that I totally ripped off their logo, and probably illegally displayed it for the benefit of selling some crocheted baby slippers that happen to resemble crocs (trademarked!). I'm hoping they're kind.
crocs beanie

All in all...had fun. Made some dough (woohoo for profit!). And saw some amazing women with some incredible talent.

ps...if you happen to need some baby-crocs (trademarked!) for a baby shower, please let me know because I came home with several pair! :)

4 comments:

Jackson4 said...

April--don't underestimate yourself--you ARE crafty!! These are amazing and I find myself jealous of your awesome skills and talent! How much are you going to hate me if I try the hats, too? Well, don't start hating yet, I've only had time to do one set of crocs, so it may be a while. So glad you made some moolah...that's way cool. Also, we must see the pic of Eden with her new hat!!

The Reeds said...

Can you pass some of that skill on to me???? :(

Summer said...

Um hello? How come you never taught me your old-lady crocheting skills? I need me a crafty hobby that even an uncrafty person such as myself can do. Isaiah's grandma says it's easy but I don't believe it.

The shoes and hats are sooo cute! Will be contacting you to find out how you can make some and send them to me!

Damon and Erin said...

How cute! I love them!!