Dumplings are not my favorite Chinese dish. In fact, they may be my least favorite. And it would be my luck that they are the most popular dish in our city. Dumplings are served at every holiday, every family get together, & are usually the dish that families serve us when we're invited to visit their home.


And on a completely unrelated note...
I've always been one of those people who is completely leery about drinking day old milk. I'm usually pretty good about checking expiration dates. But this past week we've noticed that two of our coveted "American items" have surpassed their expiration dates. And maybe surpassed is stating it mildly... The baking soda that I've been using ever since we arrived here expired in August of 2006. ummmm yeah. That means it expired the month that we arrived in China. And Brandon's bottle of Bayer Back & Body expired in June of 2007. woops. But I'm still cooking yummy baked items and Brandon's back & body are still getting the relief that specially labeled aspirin can bring. I'm thinking the manufacturers of both items could be a little more liberal with their dating system since we're both still alive and kickin' after consuming so many "expired" things. I have no idea what is in baking soda that can go bad, but seriously Arm & Hammer, stop fooling us with your labels and just tell us straight up, "Will not kill you if you eat after 2 years expired."
Will we stop using either one? No. It's funny what living in a foreign country can do to you.


3 comments:
haha! Awesome! I love that expiration thing - haha! so true! So, did you know that those packets of cookie mixes expire?? If you cook them after they're expired, then they're really crumbly and dry, but if you add extra butter (and make them healthier) then they taste just fine :) and I'm still alive!!
I think those dumplings look so good! haha!! But I HATE shrimp so I'd probably be cramming them down my throat! haha!
My mom made chicken-n-dumplings when she was here... I'm not into the American style ones either...but Anthony said they made him feel like he was a Cracker Barrel.
The only expiration dates I worry about are with milk products...like Andrea said, with a little butter (or with the pasta packets a lil extra olive oil) you'd never know!
Who'd figure you and Matt come from the same family--the only reason he's slightly into checking expiration dates is because he married me--the expiration nazi. He thinks I'm crazy when I go through our medicine cabinet and start tossing out otherwise good medicine. But I think you're right, some things could have longer expiration dates, the companies probably just use them so all the "rule followers" will have to buy new stuff every now and then!
By the way, good "alias" for your neighbor! Love ya, Jill
Post a Comment