I had a reminder on wednesday morning of just how different Chinese culture and American culture are. I mean sure, I can look around here and tell things are really different, but occasionally things happen that are so blatantly different that they still throw me for a loop.
In America if you make an observation about someone's appearance you only vocalize that to them if it could be taken as a compliment. You'd never vocalize it if it would offend them.
That's not the case in China. Regardless of if something might be taken offensively, they vocalize these simple "observations" because that's just what they are...observations. Not compliments, not cut downs...just observations.
So, back to wednesday morning. I was leaving our apartment when our upstairs neighbor, a really nice woman, said to me, "Oh April, you look a little fat!"
I smiled, refrained from slapping her as I reminded myself of this odd cultural difference, and politely responded, "Well, yes. But that's because I'm pregnant." She of course smiled and said, "oh that's wonderful!"
Then I drove myself crazy trying to remember if we had already told her I am pregnant and she thinks that not only am I pregnant but just fat as well...or is that the Chinese way to approach the subject of someone being pregnant when you aren't sure if they are or not?!?
You know, in America we'd rather be safe than sorry and not say anything at all to a woman who might or might not be pregnant. But maybe in China when they aren't sure they just say, "hey, you look fat." And then the person either says, "Yes, I am." or "No. I'm just 6 months pregnant."
Anyhow, I could have gotten really offended, but in this country where you just aren't sure what might come out of their mouths as simple observations not meant as cut downs...you just gotta take things in stride.
Saturday, June 30, 2007
on vocalizing observations...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I saw a shirt that said "Pregnant. Not fat." You should get it. But to me it's obvious that you're preggers...maybe she thinks white people look different when they get pregnant? Who knows?
One thing's for sure...tonight I'm making cheddar and garlic biscuits (from a mix) for dinner. And I don't care if I look fat afterwards.
Post a Comment