We took a trip around the city yesterday snapping a few photos of the different types of transportation the people of our city choose to take. Here are a few...
This is our preferred choice of transport...the ever popular Taxi Cab. They are everywhere in the city, easy to flag down, and only cost 6 Yuan (about 70 cents) a trip. They do sometimes smell extremely bad inside, but we've learned to deal with it.
This
is...well, we're not real sure. But they're pretty popular.
We like to call this one the backwards tricycle. We're not real sure how it works or how she steers but I'm sure she's learned to deal with it.
Here's a nicer scooter. These are popular among the younger generation. This girl is covering her mouth because of the pollution and covering her arms so she doesn't get a tan. Most of the time the arm coverings just look like really long gloves.
And the scooter-truck...
But nothing beats the plain-ole-bicycle, as you can see, they are running rampant here...
This is outside of one of the dorms at our university.

Young or old, rich or poor, nothing beats the bicycle. By the way, the thing she's wearing that looks like a welder's mask, is multipurpose: sunglasses, windshield, bug-screen, and to cover up when you pick your nose.
So as you can see there are several ways to make our way about the city. Regardless of what method we take, it's a daily risk getting out amongst the bikes/taxis/buses/scooters/walkers. We just decide how daring we are and get out there and face the traffic!
But whatever we do, we must never take our tractor, truck, or horse down this street.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Modes of Transportation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
do you actually get these?
= kschaub
Hey guys...I have loved reading over your blog and looking at all your pics. I laughed so hard at your stories and the pictures...the one with all the bikes is CRAZY and I love the lady with the windshield mask! Keep the pictures and updates coming. I love knowing what you are doing and all the exciting new adventures you are having. I love you and miss you!
If I rode a bike, I would tape a radio to the front and blair the wicked witch of the west theme song from the wiz of oz. That would give me some kicks, let me tell ya... tape a broom to the end... ha. I can see it now.
I'm sure being in the city is much fun. I would definitely need my sneeze guard. It's been great to read your updates and see the pics. Keep it coming like begger. Amy and I really miss you guys, but know you are where you need to be. I miss seeing Jose7 on Tuesday nights too. Oh, BTW I think I'm taking a digital photography class on Tuesday nights this semester. Well, peace out.
Post a Comment