I always used to hear these stories from moms that went something like this...
"I had just stepped away from little Johnny when he climbed up into the pantry and stuck a toothpick into his eye..."
Or
"I was only away from little Joshua for 2 seconds when he managed to plug in the vacuum, turn it on, and suck up his sister's hair..."
All of these stories got catalogued in my brain as "Impossible." "Farce." "Something that doesn't really happen in normal households."
That is, until this little one entered Toddler-hood.

That little mischievous grin. It clearly screams that he's been up to no good. It's saying, "Why yes mom. I did just throw all of the Nativity scene including baby Jesus into the trash can. Well except for these two favorite camels of mine."
So it was on one of those fateful "I-had-just-stepped-away-from-him" days that I heard a large thud followed by an ear piercing cry emerge from his room. We'd just been playing on the rug in his room, I got up to go grab my cell phone in the living room and when I ran back in to find him he was laying at the foot of his window sill. It's my best guess that he climbed up onto his window sill, thought he was superman, and dove off head first.
Because this was the outcome:

A giant goose egg and Australia-shaped bruise stamped on his forehead for all to see how his mommy "just stepped away from him for two seconds."
And then there was this moment that all I needed to do was slap together some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and during that 14.7 seconds he managed to find the dried black beans.

We're still discovering black beans under the counters and refrigerator.
And in only 16 months of life, this boy has managed to give us more medical scares than we thought possible for such a small human being. Excluding his hospital stays with RSV and pneumonia, and the mystery fever when he was just a week old, he continues to perplex us with other random maladies.
For instance, one morning he woke up and his whole body looked like this:

Perhaps because during his free time he takes toys in and out of the trash can.
Oh please do forgive him for that Baby Jesus. And protect the sweet boy please.
Because he sure needs it!!
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
The Littlest One
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I may or may not have laughed during this blog. I apologize-however he is just so cute!! :)
Claire's head is about 80% and her weight is 3rd, and her height almost 100th. She falls and hits her head a lot. however, she is in no way a match for this. My thoughts go out to you my friend!
My i-just-stepped-away moments include floor cleaner and eye liner. Not together of course. However I do think it would have been entertaining to see my kid mop the floors while sporting his drawn on unibrow.
Cant wait to love on that fiddler of yours!!!
I've got one of those! And I love explaining to locals, "oh, I'm not sure what happened" and they look at me incredulously like I'm the most inattentive parent ever.
Also, I say that bump looks more like Alaska than Australia. :)
Noah is a bit like this, too. But he is better than he was at 16 months, so take heart!!
Post a Comment