I'm normally a total procrastinator. I'm that student staying up until 4 a.m. to finish reading the book for the book report that's due the following day. I tend to order birthday presents the day before people's birthday and look at them shockingly the next day and say, "I'm so sorry! Your present hasn't arrived yet!" (I totally just blew my secret)
But this year, I actually had some sort of forethought. I actually did some planning ahead. I know. Shocking. My dad probably just fainted.
I began thinking and planning for Advent this year at the beginning of November. Seriously. Don't be too proud of me. This sort of planning ahead doesn't happen too often around this household!
It began with me thinking through putting up Christmas decorations and imagining little hands stealing my carefully placed ornaments on my Charlie Brown-ified Christmas tree. I began thinking of creative ways to keep them off my tree.
Brandon suggested an electric-shock fence.
I decided to go with a little less call-CPS approach...
Make them their own tree!!
My initial idea was to make a bunch of cutesy fun ornaments. Maybe three with each of their names on it. Stars. Gifts. Glittery balls. Anything that might distract them from pulling the cherished ornaments that I drug across the ocean with us off of the already-leaning tree.
But as the idea continued to develop, I imagined how I could incorporate our Jesse Tree tradition into this. Because last year our Jesse Tree Garland was a little pathetic. I'd suddenly remember it was time to do that day's JT Devotion and would scrounge around in Salem's toys for his plastic snake to string up on the garland for the story of Adam and Eve. That was the total procrastinator coming out in me. It was a sad and pathetic little gathering of random toys (does a Lego man count for Moses?!) and coloring pages.
So I set out for Pinterest, despite my previously mentioned dislike for all things Pinteresting, to find some ideas on how to make advent-ish type felt ornaments. Sure enough, Pinterest did not disappoint and I found lots of inspiration. I geared ours more toward our choice of Jesse Tree devotionals.
And then I began sewing my fingers raw...
Here's a few of my faves.
Adam and Eve and the Stump of Jesse
I had a lot of fun figuring out how to put some of these ornaments together.
Jonah and The Flood
Creation and Bethlehem
Is it a little strange that my globe doesn't even have The Big Chicken pictured on it?
Abraham and Isaac (and the Ram) and Elijah
The Angel and The Lion and the Lamb
All 27 of them...
(That was before the final finished product with the red border.)
I'm slightly terrified they'll be ripped to shreds, the kids will yank all the buttons off, or Caleb will eat one of the ornaments. So maybe for this year we'll hang it out of reach. So much for the hands-off-my-Christmas-tree idea. :)
But I know they're really excited about it. Which makes it worth all the work and anti-procrastination efforts, especially if it helps them treasure the significance of Jesus' birth.
It starts tomorrow, ya'll!!









9 comments:
So. Weird. I almost don't even want to comment because the whole "we live the same life" thing just keeps getting stretched out. This year I decided to do adventish festivities (who you callin' baptist?) and made the bags (inspired by Pinterest) before we left for our vacation, even acquiring some very rare craft supplies in America because of the planning I'd already done. This year for whatever reason I just reaaaaaally wanted to start making Christmas special-er. Though bc I finished sewing the bags the night before we left I didn't get a chance to do the blogpost with a tutorial on how to make your own. Can't win em all!
Those ornaments are awesome! Right before I looked at your blog I was trying to figure out how I was going to pull off doing a jesse tree, since I have obviously procrastinated. I think I will have to resort to paper ornaments. :(
You're one of those I-hate-pinterest-but-I-could-actually-be-featured-on-it kind of people! Seriously, Pinterest and Jesse tree have had me on the brink of tears several times this week. I convinced myself that I had to do it perfectly here & now because there's no way I could make anything cute in Chiner. You, my friend, have just proven me wrong and have unknowingly volunteered to help me make my Jesse tree next year. Because it's going to be coloring pages this time around!
(And I love that you're hanging it on the wacky white thing in your entry way. It actually looks festive rather than...well, you know.)
What a great heirloom! It will become one of their favorite memories. This mother is proud :0)
That's awesome, April.
This is SO awesome! You did a great job!
Impressed and inspired to actually turn on that sewing maching, that was the generous present from my hubs many months ago. Not sure how you do it all. What a special tradition and so many memories will be made. We were supposed to decorate our tree tonight since its dec 1 but instead we only got our pizzas decorated. We must work on our priorities!! And yes we will be using legos and little people this year :) hugs.
Okay, I have to say, this the the neatest Jesse Tree on the internet. It beats anything I can pull on on Pinterest or otherwise. I just love it! I just want to know what all the ornaments are about. Most I recognize, but there are some that I am not too sure about. If you don't want to make another whole blog to introduce them, you could just FB me to educate me, but I think I am making one of these for my house though we are child free. It is never too late to enjoy the stories! Good job, April!
That is unbelievable... really and truly one of the coolest things ever. So, in your spare time (haha) I think you need to make one for Cayden and Avery because their poor momma has no idea how to sew something this awesome. :)
Post a Comment