Monday, March 12, 2012

Not My Kind of Vacation

Nebulizer.


It sounds scarier than it really is. It sounds like a taser gun. Or some sort of Star Trek force field.

The Nebulizer[neb-yuh-lahyz-er] (noun) - The evil villian who lives on planet Galactus that seeks to destroy earth with his force-field-shooting taser gun.

Obviously, my medical background and education is quite extensive.
Because when time came for his first nebulizing (is that a word??) treatment and it went like this...


I was quite relieved.

Caleb's bout with RSV, pneumonia, and whatever sort of wretched stomach junk that he had, booked us 5 exclusive nights in a Thai hospital. (if anyone is keeping count...that's his SECOND Thai hospital to book a stay at!)
So even though we only spent 5 days out of our 3 weeks in Thailand in the hospital, those three weeks were marked with hospital memories instead of poolside, sunny Thailand memories.


But really, with that smile in the picture, who cares what the surroundings are.

I've become quite fond of Thai hospitals, though. And when I say that...I have to be sure to include lots of pictures of the experience otherwise the average American back home envisions us stuck up in a straw hut with a mud-thatched roof in blazing hot Thailand.


To his nurses, he was "Boy Caleb."


To his doctor, he was "this kid."


Just outside his hospital window was the city's ancient wall and moat, and a country doing it's annual burning of the fields.


And now that we're back home and he's doing completely fine, we can look back on the experience and have a little chuckle about our crazy life...one that thankfully doesn't include taser guns and force fields.

6 comments:

Anthony and Sharon said...

That baby is yummy. Every stinkin' inch of him!
Wanna watch Star Wars when you come? They don't burn stuff in Indonesia til August, then it blows over to our country. We're gonna do our best to keep his foreign hospital experience limited to Thailand.

Carrie said...

Oh friend. So glad you are home.

Unknown said...

Hi I saw your comment on Rachel's blog and hopped over here. Oh my it looks scary...we had a bout with rsv but only spent one night in the hospital. I am glad to see him smiling! You have such a sweet family. I just wanted to say and let you know I was reading.

Rachel said...

Poor little guy!! That first picture is just pitiful!! I'm glad he's all better!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear he is doing better. Hospital stays can be rough, especially when it is a little one that is sick. Praying for y'all.

Lesley

The Reeds said...

Poor poor baby!! I'm so glad he's better and you're home. I can't imagine going through that with a little one (or any one for that matter).