Monday, March 19, 2012

Chen Yue En

陈悦恩
Photobucket
It's what Eden is called every day at her preschool. It's how her friends and teachers know her. The boy at school she now says that she wants to marry when she grows up... it's what he exclaims when she walks in the door Monday thru Friday.

When our Chinese friends helped us pick out her Chinese name four years ago, I was very casual about it. I didn't put much thought into it, honestly, nor did I really care what Chinese name they came up with. In my world, she was Eden. She always was Eden. She always would be Eden. Egocentric, that was me.

And now, the vast majority of people that Eden sees every day refer to her as Yue En, instead of Eden. 

I'm a pretty terrible person about it too. I catch myself thinking, "ugh...that's not her name...why can't they just call her her real name?!"  Or when someone says something about her to me, and I find myself wondering who the heck they're talking about. Or like last week when I called up to her school to chat with her teacher and introduced myself as, "Eden's mom." but then had to correct myself when she wasn't clear of my meaning and had to say, "Yue En's mom."

I get this egotistical chip on my shoulder about people referring to MY daughter with a different name than the one I gave her when she was in my tummy over four years ago. More like a boulder really.
A gigantic, heavy, grey, ugly boulder. That's weighing down my shoulder so much so that it's beginning to smother my whole body.

Fortunately, God grants my four year old some wisdom on occasion to speak truth into my life. To help redeem me. To help knock the giant grey rock of my shoulder. To dropkick me into place.

It was simple really. We were outside playing and a neighbor came up to chat with us.
After the usual first few questions of... "Where are you from? Are all three kids yours? Do you watch them all by yourself? Is your baby wearing enough clothes?"... She turned to Eden and said, "What's your name?"
Eden replied in an upbeat tone, "Eden!" Then she sheepishly turned to me, grinned, and covered her mouth like she'd made a mistake and said, "hehe, I forgot." Then turned back to neighbor lady and said, "Wo jiao Yue En!" (call me Yue En!)

It was the first time I've heard her say the full sentence in Chinese. It was the first time I've heard her say her name so proudly. She was owning it.

My giant boulder came crashing to the ground in a million little narcissistic pieces. Outwardly, I was pleased that my daughter was so proud of her Chinese identity, that she was finding a place in this culture that is so foreign to me but that is home to her. 

Inwardly, I was cut to the core in realization of my self-absorbed thinking. 

It's a hard journey for me to overcome my small world view. It's difficult for me to get over the fact that my daughter's upbringing is going to look night and day different from mine. It's hard for me to accept that Eden will grow up dodging pee puddles on sidewalks rather than dodgeballs in elementary school.  I worry about her learning so many Chinese characters but never getting to lay on the trampoline at night and count the stars.

But slowly, much too slowly I'm sure, I'm asking the Lord to change me. To eagerly accept this world that Eden calls home. To try to see it through fresh eyes, her eyes, His eyes, and find joy in it rather than weird. 

Her eyes light up when she tells me about seeing a street seller strangle a chicken and getting to see the blood drip from the chicken's neck while he butchered it for their preschool's lunch. What I find disgusting and weird, she finds fascinating. This will be her normal. It will be vastly different from my normal.

And her normal will largely be as Chen Yue En. 

9 comments:

The Reeds said...

Wow April. I'm speechless. I've had many of the same thoughts and concerns about 'any' culture other than small town flat dusty plains child rearing. You're so right though... Wow.

Granny Garr said...

You do know that it's a "no turning back process." After living in Vanuatu for 2 1/2 years, Katy still sleeps on a mattress on the floor here in America. It is so confusing to raise children to be world citizens and then to live with them when they are those world citizens. You are so correct when you talk about stretching our view of life. Keep stretching! It's as painful, sometimes, as exercise, but good for us in the end. Blessings on you all.

D said...

i so relate. I was a country bumpkin, growing up in the great wide outdoors, swimming in creeks, catching lightning bugs, turning brown as a berry in the sun, drinking water from the hose. Now, my daughter is growing up in a concrete jungle, breathing in smog, whose only exposure to nature is a woodsy park down a busy, clogged road and will not see wildlife in its natural habitat. I'm trying to find the positives of growing up as a city kid....

By the way, this is Diana :-) We met through Jordan in Flaherty :-)

Kevin Schaub said...

Loved reading this, April. We miss y'all. We're also thankful for y'all. That you would move across the world, willing to suffer both great and small for the sake of J*s*s. Love you!

foreverjoyfulleslie said...

Great post! I think her Chinese name is beautiful, by the way. Grace is Huang En Qi. Same "en" because the meaning is so wonderful (and it fits Eden's middle name)!

MichelleWebb said...

April, my Chinese name is 王悦怡 (wang yue yi) So I like the "yue" ;) Reister is Wang Yi Rong 王一荣 (or Rong Rong) He is also pretty clear on his Chinese identity ;) I appreciated your post - it's so awesome that Eden is learning Chinese and making friends!

Anthony and Sharon said...

This is a good one friend. Glad you've taken the time to think through some of this and understand how it affects you. The boys both have names that Malaysians will normally have just with different pronunciations...but Immanuelle is "Iman" (EE-mahn) to all our Malay friends...it means "faith" in Arabic and I'm glad such a beautiful nickname is the one she'll come to own around them...but my oh my there are some days I wish they'd work just a little harder on "Immanuelle."

This post also makes me wish Isaac's preschool was more "immersive" in Chinese. I have no clue how much he knows but I'm quite sure his teachers fall back on English when they want to communicate something quickly (and who doesn't want to get a preschooler to act more quickly???) :)

Third thing. So glad I'm on this journey with you!

e&k said...

April I love this! I love how you express yourself in writing and how you are sensitive to Father to share how He is at work in your heart in such specific and real ways. Love it all! Katie

Rachel said...

Wow. That's powerful. Your writing is powerful...and a bit convicting of my own egocentricities.

Thank you for sharing - you really are a fabulous writer.