Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Field Trip, Green Pants, and Science Museum...oh my!

Eden's excitement about preschool has waned quite a bit since her first day of attendance. She's gone through screaming spouts, crying, worrying, waking up in the night complaining about not wanting to go the next day.

And as is my tendency to give up when the going gets tough, I felt as though we were making a mistake by pushing her to continue going.

Fortunately, God's blessed me with a smart husband. A guy who doesn't give up when the going gets tough.

So when I felt like pulling her out of preschool, he went the opposite direction.
"Lets send her 5 days a week, instead!!"

His logic doesn't make sense to me sometimes.

But turns out, the man was right (again). And the persistency of everyday attendance has helped her overcome her preschool fears faster than she would have if she went just twice a week...as was the original plan.
I was, however, justified in my fears about her eating lunch there (felt like I had to throw in that tid-bit about me being right about something! :) and she comes home everyday before their lunch time.
And I'm purposefully leaving out my reasoning behind this so as to not make your stomachs churn.

So last week we took the day off of language study so that we could go with her on her first preschool field trip. She was sooooo excited that Mommy and Daddy were staying with her at preschool that day.

We showed up to the classroom and every other kid there was dressed alike. My first reaction was completely selfish, "oh sure...lets make the white kid stand out even more!"

And then after they danced a few dances:
Photobucket

They pulled a package out of the closet just for Eden.
Photobucket

I wish I could tell you what that 'M' stands for on her shirt. Really. I wish I could.
But I don't even know myself.

Then they formed a line with a nifty jump rope and a few rings and we set out for the Science Museum!
Photobucket

Look at my boy's bright and shining face when Teacher Wu included him in the fun!
Photobucket

The day of the field trip was "Children's Day" which is kind of a holiday here...or a day for all the other preschools to take field trips. So it was a little redonkulously crowded at the museum. Despite the crowds, Eden is always a show stopper.
I'm including this picture not so that you can see the big pregnant lady's ever-growing abdomen, but so that you'll notice the people on the far left of the photo.
Photobucket

The man's face that basically says, "oh!! look at the little white foreign kid!!"
We're becoming quite familiar with that face.  :)

Eden had a blast on her first preschool field trip. She took cookies that she'd helped me make and handed them out to all her friends and teachers. Most of the kids didn't like them at all...most "sweets" from America are wayyyy too sweet for kids from the Big Chicken! But she loved handing them out, feeling involved, and having a way to participate in the day.

Today when I asked her how preschool went, she said, "Good! I didn't hit anybody today!"
Well, fabulous, Eden!
Good to know she's still got her priorities in order.

6 comments:

Anthony and Sharon said...

Amazing how even a uniform with a mysterious "M" and green tapered leg pants STILL makes you want to be included in the group, just because everyone else has one. And she rocks it. Naturally.

Yay for 5 days a week preschool and awesome husbands!!! (and I do expect an email explanation of the food concern).

Carrie said...

I'm all about the random English letters and phrases on the clothes! Looks like you guys had a blast. Glad your new city is treating you well! We've been to that same museum. Did you see the random opening mouth with the huge tongue?

jess said...

So cuuuuuuute! especially love the outfit just for her :) ps - you should send me your e-mail, I didn't write it down before I left for the summer. I have some updates for you :)

Summer said...

Hee hee, I love Eden's sense of humor. She didn't hit anybody TODAY! (No promises for tomorrow, though...) Glad y'all are doing well and readjusting to all the gawking! :)

e&k said...

april, i love your blogging- you are so fun and creative in your sharing! it's fun to keep up on your alls' journey- love your prego belly too! i'm praying for you all!

Damon and Erin said...

I am so curious now about the lunch activities at school, so please send me an e-mail with that! :)
I think it's hilarious that there is no explanation to the "M"... I'm just glad she was so happy to have the "uniform" like everyone else! :)