I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. Something most of you probably never knew. Maybe you don't care to know.
I'm not real sure exactly at what age this first happened to me. My parents might be able to say. Although, maybe they've lost track.
The most recent occurrence happened this morning.
I was doing dishes. The kids were playing together without screaming, and I was trying to get a few things done. I was scrubbing away on a pizza pan when I stuck my hand into the water and gashed open my finger on our apparently way-too-sharp knife. When I pulled my hand out of the water I already knew what had happened, but instinctively still looked to examine the damage. (mistake #1) Blood plus watery hands from doing dishes made my cut finger look drenched in blood.
I grabbed the closest dish towel and headed toward the bathroom to keep Eden from coming over and freaking out. The throbbing finger, the blood slowly draining from my body (ok...maybe I wasn't bleeding THAT bad), and the thought of it all got to me before I realized I needed to lay down. Next thing I know, I'm waking up on the bathroom floor.
I fainted.
I'm that mommy at home alone with her two kids, that passed out from a cut finger.
Lord help us if something ever happens to my kids and I'm the one that has to be responsible for getting them to the hospital.
Fainting is one of those things that has happened to me so often that I can usually feel it coming on and can lay down quick enough to make it go away.
Of course there was that one time when I was in labor with Salem and they were giving me an IV and I was laying down ALREADY....and I passed out.
Oh and that time I was getting a flu shot in a room full of people and made it to the bed in time to pass out. Really freaked out all the four year olds waiting for their turn.
And there was that one time where I thought I could be a physical therapist so I interned for a day (yes, only made it the ONE day) and while a lady was explaining her knee replacement surgery for me...I passed out.
And the time that I tore my ACL jumping hurdles during track practice one day...and passed out.
When visiting friends or family in the hospital, it's not uncommon for me to have to leave their room because I start getting queasy. If I ever visit you in the hospital and faint next to your hospital bed, yeah, don't take it personal. :)
Have I ever given blood? Of course not. Am I crazy?! Though I did have my blood drawn last week for my doc appointment and didn't even get light-headed. I was so proud of myself! :)
So there's no real theme here. It's not just blood. It's not just needles. It's not completely psychological.
.......and on that note...... I better go lay down. :)
Tuesday, February 08, 2011
Learn Something New Every Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Good old vasovagal reaction! I hope I'm with you sometime when that happens. :) PS. If you weren't leaving the country I would share my decay with you. :(
So interesting! So when you share your birth stories with people do you get fainty then?
Also, about how long are you out for? What's it like? As someone who's never been unconscious (even on purpose from like a dentist) I've always wondered what it was like!
Yep, we're definitely related and I totally feel your pain! Except I've passed out from random fun things like watching a friend get a tattoo, watching a super bony dancer lady (weird!) and the big kicker...going to the eye doctor. I am TERRIFIED of the eye doctor and passed out both times I've been. I have a thing about eyes like you have for blood -- can't watch people put in contacts, eye drops, etc., and don't even talk about LASIK or anything like that. Yep, we're weirdos! Sigh...
Sister, I'm feeling a little fainty after reading this and think now...I need to go lay down! Oh how you would be in really bad shape if I had to come to your resuce! :)
So sorry you are still having this problem. I began getting "light-headed" in high school over things, and mother taught me to put my head down between my knees. That usually saves me from passing out. I do believe yours is worse than most, but I will say that mine got better after having kids--just knowing I needed to be the "adult." That may have helped you giving blood, etc. I'm not a very good hospital visitor either, and have had to leave the room to put my head down. Be careful! Love you!
Wow...I'm the same way and have had the same fear of it happening when the kids really need me. When Cayden busted his head open a couple of years ago I didn't faint, so maybe God gives us strength exactly when we need it! :)
OK this is hillarious... my whole body was shaking with laughter... One i have never passed out... Two your subtle way of telling a story cracks me up and Three i am still laughing about the girl "summer" saying a super bony dancer lady lol
did the kids find you or did you wake before they got there... this sounds very dangerous friend but still funny... i am sorry i am laughing at your expense... i have just never known someone that annually faints ;) Love You!! Sorry about your finger...
Post a Comment