Thursday, May 13, 2010

Another D.C. Weekend

D.C is one of our favorite places out here on the East Coast. Though we've only been up there four times, we say each time we visit that we'd love to live there! Our motivation for the visit this time around was this little guy, Hudson.

Photobucket Photobucket

Well, ok, we love his parents too! He looks exactly like his daddy but is already very much a babbler...just like his mommy! :) We ate up his sweetness all weekend and very much enjoyed the fellowship with S&A again!

Last time we were there we got some cool shots of Eden with some of the monuments, so that was one of my goals for Salem this time around. But after taking 30 minutes to park our Toyota Tundra in the spot meant for a tricycle, the capitol building and the Natural History museum was all we felt in the mood for! We still got some fun shots and really just enjoyed hanging out on the Mall for awhile.
Photobucket

Eden chased the pigeons and ran in lots and lots and lots of circles.
Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

We'd never been to the zoo before and having kids is something that basically requires you to do that sort of thing. So we went to the zoo. The cool thing about the D.C. zoo is that it's free. AND, they have Chinese-speaking pandas. Well, that's according to Eden. This was a new fact to us, and one mysteriously not included on the little "Official Zoo Guide."
Oddly, the best picture we got of our zoo excursion was this one. A LOT of excitement for one day.
Photobucket

D.C. is a SERIOUSLY gorgeous place to visit. I think that's the Robert E. Lee memorial in the background.
Photobucket

One reason we love it so much is the hodge podge of cultures. While we were in the Natural History museum I tried to help a lady with her back pack. And then I think she thought I was trying to steal something out of her backpack. And I realized it a little too late that she had NO CLUE what I was saying and since my dutch/polish/swedish/whatever-it-was language is severly lacking, all I could do was muster up a "I'm so sorry, I'm as confused as you are" apology face.

And then at the zoo I tried to help a family of three have a picture together so that they didn't have to mess with the ridiculous timer. Doing my universal-sign-language-invisible-camera click apparently didn't translate well in Russian, and she looked at me like I was seriously deranged.

BUT despite my inability to culture-jump with success, D.C. makes up for it with all sorts of food from other cultures. We had THE BEST Thai food on this side of the planet. I think S&A ordering it in Thai may have added to the taste as well. So fun! And then for Mother's Day we had Lebanese chicken shawarmas, falafel, hummus, fried zucchini, and spinach wraps. YUM! And topped it off with an entirely too big piece of cheese cake from The Cheesecake Factory (which I'll gladly admit that I had no trouble polishing off all by myself).

Thanks S&A! We had an awesome weekend!!

4 comments:

rachel said...

fun, fun!! Especially the part about the chicken shwarma! Ever since the introduction of Little Beirut in Bangkok to my life, I've never been the same! We're heading to dc for a few days after stas conference in July, so watch out for an email from me asking a billion questions. I know you love me...... =)

Anthony and Sharon said...

So jealous! Of everything about this post!
Love the ole Phil&Ted's gettin' a cameo. Does Eden know the heavier kid is supposed to go up top? Or is Salem outweighing her these days? :)

Glad yall had fun!

Summer said...

So fun! We love D.C. too -- there's so many great things to do and see. Love the pic of Salem with the capitol in the background! Can't wait to see y'all soon! :)

Sara Beth said...

We LOVE DC. Love the sound of the foods you got to eat--so jealous! And definitely good to see we swayed you to actually getting the Phil&Ted's! Not that it was that difficult! :)