Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Most Un-Easterly Easter Egg Hunt Ever

March 20th. We'll never forget this day...the day that we swore of mass Easter Egg Hunts forever. FOREVER!

Brandon spent a good portion of this morning "training" Eden proper Easter Egg Hunting 101 in preparation for her first egg hunt of the season. Little did we know that we should have been focusing on a different strategy. A number of strategies really. Maybe something more along the lines of this:
1. "Start running several seconds before they say "GO!" "
2. "Push and shove your way through the mass hysteria regardless of who you have to knock down!"
3. "Grab as many as possible, yes even if you have to scoop them away from another kid!"
4. "Here, Eden, don't forget your helmet."

Ok. Just kidding. Since we're NOT the worst parents in the world, we didn't give her the above advice. Actually, just the opposite. I was encouraging her to make sure she let other kids get eggs too. hmmmph, I should have been telling that to the 40 year old woman next to me scooping in eggs by the armful for her...oh wait...that's right, she didn't have a kid with her.

So can you get an idea of how the event played out? Or do I need to layer on the sarcasm a little thicker for you?
Oh but wait, did I forget the part about Eden crying? Who can blame her though after getting knocked around like a pinball and pushed down all just about 5 seconds after they said, "GO!"

Since we're not exactly hoping that the yearly remembering of the Resurrection of our Savior also be marred by traumatic egg hunting (with HUNDREDS of other children and 2,000 eggs up for grabs!), we pulled out of the race after those tears were shed.

Fortunately, for your entertainment, and since my wonderful sarcastic blog-ified attitude might not be enough to prove to you exactly how we felt about it all....we have a 6 second video for you. In the mass hysteria, Brandon mis-punched the buttons on our recorder and actually didn't capture The Official Worst Egg Hunt Ever on camera, but DID capture our immediate reaction to it all. (It was a little cut-off. at the beginning I say, "aaannnddd, we're stopping." and then I think it's perfectly clear how Brandon felt :)

Take a gander:



5 comments:

ChristyS said...

You are right...it was very, very sad. I wanted to cry seeing the poor little tots in tears after it was all over.

The Porters said...

Was this at Holden Park? We refuse to go to that one! But next Saturday, there's an egg hunt at the Youngsville library that has always been promising for us and then the next Saturday there is one at Faith Baptist that was really nice last year. Our kids had no clue what to do last year, but they still got a lot of eggs. Try one of those if you want (especially Faith because I'm 99% sure we'll be there). :)

ChristyS said...

Faith's hunt is great! It is the day before Easter. Their kid's choir is singing in a little program before the hunt this year and the ages are divided up much better for the hunt. Last year they had sheep/lambs for the kiddos to pet. I also heard good things about the Youngsville library egg hunt from some church friends last night.

jordan said...

this is how I felt last year at our neighborhood-wide one that we hosted at our church. it was awful. I just felt like telling people "really, they are just eggs!" This year we decided as a church to not do a massive one and instead are letting our small groups do smaller ones with the families in their lives. I'll let you know how it goes for us. one bonus of moving overseas is not having to do all this holiday stuff with our kids! :)

Anthony and Sharon said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa!