Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Car Seat is my Nemesis

Me = Blogwhelmed


That's my new word for being extremely behind in blog-land. There's a lot to update our now lagging blog but I'm too overwhelmed to try to catch up with a million posts. sooooo it might all get jumbled into one. That is...one to come.

And let me tell you why.

The car seat my friends.

It hates me.

And I hate it.

Ok well, I appreciate it's use. Nice, safe, plasticky contraption that keeps my baby boy safe when hurling down a concrete highway at 70 mph. But other than the safety aspects, the car seat is completely working against me.

Salem falls asleep as soon as his little body hits it. Unless he's too hot, he's conked out in that thing anytime we're on the go. If we were a traveling family circus of 4, that would come in handy. But seeing as how we like to spend most of our time at home, car seat sleeping is just not acceptable.

So here's my excuse. The majority of the last few days I've spent helping my sweet baby boy get over his first addiction: car seat sleeping.

For nap time he prefers to either be held with his head nuzzled nicely in my neck or strapped into his car seat. The first is nice and fun, but again not something that is practical when I'm also chasing an almost 2 year old. And the second, well, it's a new phenomenon in my world.

Eden didn't use a car seat until she was 8 months old so naturally, the car seat soon became her nemesis as well. To this day she still can't nap longer than 30 minutes at a time in it. Which truly, I prefer over my current problem.

But now that we're living in the land of car seat laws, Salem has to be strapped into his car seat instead of a handy dandy Baby Bjorn like Eden used. Obviously, car seats are safer, but Baby Bjorn never waged war with me when it came to getting Eden to sleep.

So anyways, this is why our blog is now really behind.
My first excuse is that we've had an influx of family for the past 5 weeks that absorbed my blogging time. And I'm not complaining. It was truly great.
And now my excuse is Mr. Graco Safe Seat...currently staring me down from across the living room.

1 comment:

The Porters said...

We will be praying that Salem will learn to love his crib. When we had Bryson, we thought people were crazy when they would tell us to just put him in his car seat and drive around. Bryson HATED his seat and it made us so mad, but he LOVED his bed. We decided we would accept the fact that he screamed in the car because at least he slept great at night (which made for a happy mom). I know there are pros and cons for both. Our driving trips were horrible, but since we were like you and spent most time at home, we decided it was worth it in the long run. I hope Salem gets used to his bed and also remains a happy car baby. :)