Friday, January 23, 2009

Musings from Chris...well sort of

Last weekend we enjoyed a little apartment get-together with many of our neighbors. With it being bitter cold lately, we don't go outside as much as we'd like. Which means that we don't see Chris as much as we'd like.


But he and his brothers came out of hiding for our apt party. And it was truly good to see him because he just brightens my soul.

Our sweet host, J, asked him if he'd like some hot chocolate with the one stipulation that he sit on the kitchen floor and not move from his post until he was finished.
So he sits on the floor, patiently (not so much) awaiting his hot chocolate.
J hands him his hot chocolate...
Now, keep in mind Chris is 5. Apparently at 5 years old a human being has yet to acquire "sipping knowledge" because he took one gander at that cup of steaming goodness with mini white marshmallows on top and began to gulp.
Every drop he took into his mouth immediately began pouring back out of his mouth onto his shirt, pants, and previously mentioned kitchen floor.
J and I both saw the tragedy and moved in to offer help. 
J: "Oh...Chris! I'm so sorry sweetie. Can I get you some water?"
Chris, grasping at his flaming hot shirt and with a sheepish down cast look on his face replies, " um. no thanks. I think I'll just chew on some ice."

I know it's not that hilarious. But the poor kid just had his little heart broken by that hot chocolate and the only thing he wanted was ice. ahhh...I just wanted to hug him. :)

Shortly after we arrived Chris' older brother, Eric, gave us a little dose of laughter for the evening. Eric is your typical eleven year old boy. He leaves wood shavings all over our apartment building lawn from whittling branches and sticks into spears and swords. And then he leaves those lying around for my curious toddler to discover. BUT that's a whole different blog.
We were asked to bring a dessert with us for the evening so Eric took it upon himself to make their dessert. His explanation:
"Well, it's a cake. But we didn't have cake mix. So I had to use a muffin mix. It tasted weird after I mixed it together so I added some vanilla. I think it came out ok."
We're all wide-eyed I'm sure, seeking further explanation of this dessert we knew we had to try out of adult responsibility.
His dad: "It was a blueberry muffin mix. He left out the blueberries."
Eric: "Well, who needs fruit anyway?"

Call me a terrible role model. I didn't try a piece. Though I heard through the millings of several others that it was pretty good "cake." 

I'm so ready for it to get warm outside. We get to see Chris and Eric more when it gets warm outside. :)

No comments: