Apparently Bangkok is a popular place for having babies. Since our arrival we've met two more couples in similar situations as us who are here solely for the purpose of welcoming their first born into the world. We've had a lot of fun hanging out with them in the past few weeks...and here is where I'd post a picture of four pregnant women but our internet isn't complying for the moment. But now I am the only one remaining with a baby still INSIDE my belly. All the others have been born healthily and happily. And it's driving us crazy! :) It has made us even more excited for Eden's arrival!
One of the mothers swears that it was her big chunk of steak at Outback the day before she went into labor...the other swears it was some apple pie & climbing 17 flights of stairs. Of course, climbing 17 flights of stairs might force anyone into labor regardless of being pregnant or not. Not sure I'm willing to go there.
So as Eden's due date approaches, we're considering indulging ourselves even more on steak, apple pie, & what not in order to bring her into this world. Although, at our last ultrasound our doctor estimated that Eden is already at 8 pounds. So maybe I should lay off the apple pie! It was funny...he said, "Wow she's at 3.3 kg." To which I responded, "I have no idea how big that is...Brandon do some quick conversion!" Then the doc said, "That's perfectly normal for a woman your size." I thought to myself, did my doctor just pull a fat joke on me?!! Then he corrected himself and said, "Well, that's really big for a Thai woman, but for a western woman that's perfectly normal." So she may dwarf the Thai babies laying next to her in the nursery but she'll be beautiful anyways.
My parents will be arriving late Sunday night to begin their cross-cultural experience of two weeks and to begin spoiling our first born. :) Brandon's will arrive about one week after that & will get to see us and their first grandbaby for a week or so. Be thinking of them as they travel, eat new foods, and experience all that Bangkok has to offer!
Monday, September 17, 2007
2 babies, and neither one is ours
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
So Leslie had her baby too? Cool! I bet you guys are sooo ready for your baby to come! Come on Eden!! Some people swear by tumeric (the yellow in curry)... and some swear by parsley... Hope the baby comes soon!!! I can't wait to see pics of Eden!!!
So were both the other babies girls?
Also, I think ya'll's parents are gonna do great... Bangkok is a great "transition" city to experience Asia in...it's HUGE (like many Asian cities) it has a LOT of Asians in it (like many Asian cities) a LOT of Asian food (like many Asian cities) and its got efficient public transportation (like many Asian cities)...these are all WONDERFUL things to experience about Asia especially as Americans...many of whom have never ridden a train, been outnumbered by Asians, or eaten REAL Asian food.
But Bangkok's also got huge malls, western food, and nice hotels so that the westerner can 'get away' when it feels the culture closing in around them.
Plus, for your parents Bangkok will hold precious Eden... enough to give it a thumbs up!
(ok, now I'll stop this lonely planet guide to BKK in your comments)
Post a Comment