The kids are completely obsessed with our bed. Not just for jumping on, but they love to curl up in the covers and always comment on how comfy our bed is.
It's true...we sprung for the higher end of what IKEA had in stock for us and the lower end for the kids' mattresses. Aint no shame here.
So when Salem saw the opportunity to sleep in daddy's spot while he was away, he leapt on it.
"Mommy, can I sleep in your bed on daddy's pillow?"
So we made a night of it. Each kid had their own special night, got to pick dinner, got to stay up past bedtime while the other two went to sleep, watch their choice of movie with mommy, then sleep on daddy's pillow on daddy's side of the bed. (totally thankful Brandon insisted on a king size bed!!)
Caleb didn't really get a special Caleb night. Since he doesn't really know the difference I figure it doesn't matter. But here's how it would have looked: A thrilling 3-word conversation about apples, a 2 minute episode of Elmo (which is about all he'll sit still for), and then off to his own bed. So we just skipped it altogether.
Salem's night started off with a dinner of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Given the choice of anything he could come up with, he went his usual route. The ole standby. Which of course was fine by me.
(and yes my kids are still in jammies at dinner time. daddy's gone...don't judge me!)
Then after Eden and Caleb headed to bed, he and I conversed over a cupcake that we shared and discussed who would win in an epic battle between Superman and Batman...
Me: "So if Superman and Batman fought, who would win?"
Salem: pondering thoughtfully... "The dragon."
Me: "There's a dragon there too?"
Salem: "There's always a dragon there."
I love boys. This is going to be so much fun.
And then he chose to watch The Lorax, because he hadn't seen it all yet. But please, whatever.you.do, please oh please don't tell him that it's not called The Lord of the Rax. Because I just lurrrrrv that he calls it that.
Then while we slept, I still got kicked in the ribs half a dozen times, despite the extra kingly room we've got in our bed. But probably because this is how he sleeps in his own bed.
On Eden's night, she chose blueberry pancakes for dinner. Thas my gurl.
Well...on second thought, when it came time to split a cupcake with mommy, she asked if she could have a sucker instead. Letdown. I was soooo looking forward to another half of a cupcake.
Alas, maybe the last one really will make it to see daddy on friday!
It shouldn't have surprised me though. After all, this is the girl that chooses greasy duck leg over peanut butter and jelly.
The movie for her evening was Ice Age 4. Which is hilarious...and maybe not entirely 5 year old appropriate. I think we watched and rewinded (rewound?) the part of Syd puking up prunes about 7 times. So, maybe it does suit a 5 year old quite well.
Eden rounded out the evening by running a low-grade fever, attempting to confiscate my pillow in her sleep, and then proceeded to wake up and cough incessantly between 4:00 - 5:30 a.m.
This whole Kid's Date Night was fab. They loved it. I loved getting to spend some one on one time with them. But maybe we'll leave the sleeping-on-daddy's-pillow part to just Daddy. He doesn't steal pillows or kick quite as hard. :)






6 comments:
What a great idea Mama! So were the blueberries from a box, a can, or fresh? They're SO expensive here and I crave them all.the.time. Oddly enough KFC advertises blueberry pancakes but I just can't bring myself to get out of my pajamas to go to KFC in the morning.
Speaking of pj's...I love Eden's. They have the bottoms to hers at our F.O.S. (Factory Outlet Store) Never seen the top before, but that's how it goes. Just bottoms.
Also, Isaac and Isaiah sleep in their bed like Salem.
Now I get it! Salem was telling me about Lord of the Rax and I 1) thought he was talking about a dinosaur movie and 2) judged you for showing a three year old Lord of the Rings.
On an unrelated note, we were reading a bio of Ezra Jack Keats earlier this week. It said that he was one of the first kids authors to use African American characters. I asked Micah if he knew what an African American was and he said no. I explained to him that it's a person whose family lived in Africa a long time ago and they usually have brown skin. Then I asked him if he knew anyone with brown skin. His first answer: Salem.
Phew - you're brave! I have enough trouble sleeping when Daddy's out of town. Add in a kicking kid and I'd be a zombie the next day!
HOW FUN!!!
Remember that part in Anastacia of the dog getting smashed by the fat Russian guy that we would rewind and watch over and over again?
You are such a fun and selfess Mom. And I say Salem got the "help Mommy"award for picking PB&J!!
So glad he is home and you are back to being a party of five!!
Post a Comment