We love our country. We're pretty patriotic people. "Proud to be an American"...while we may not wear it emblazoned on our t-shirts, is exactly how we feel.
And sometimes living overseas can increase that patriotism.
Like last week when we went to see the new Batman movie in the theatre (in English!) I left holding my head high, and thinking, "yep...that's my country. Land of the free and home of the Batman."
I know. I need a Freak stamp for my forehead.
While we were in Korea a couple weeks ago Brandon really wanted to visit the Korean War Memorial. I went begrudgingly, imagining how fun it was going to be to carry a wiggly 1-year-old through a non-stroller-friendly, dark and stuffy museum (with only Korean font) with him screaming and throwing fits next to the solemn Veterans paying homage to their friends that died in combat. I almost always imagine the worst. That whole scene played out in my head. And yes, it's a disease I'm struggling to overcome.
However, our taxi pulled up right next to a giant USAF B-52 Bomber preserved from the Korean War. What stretched on behind it were airplanes, jets, tanks, missile launchers, and even a battleship. And what was even better was that you could walk into almost every one of them. Talk about little boy heaven.

Salem was beyond enamored.

No lie. It was from the driver seat of one of the tanks that he turned to Brandon and said, "Daddy! This is the BEST.DAY.EVER!!"

Score. One win for Daddy.
Especially since it was all free. Can't beat that.
Eden's idea of fun was to play hide and seek on the battleship.

Only she didn't tell us that's what she was doing and nearly caused her mama to pee her pants when we couldn't find her.

Your daughter getting lost on a Korean War battleship. Not fun. I don't recommend it.

Hopefully her first and last spanking aboard a boat with bullet holes in it.
Not only is it little boy heaven, it's big boy heaven too.

I believe I heard Brandon say more than once that he should have enlisted.


What is it about that sign, "Rocket Launcher (U.S.A.)" that makes me swell with pride?

Camouflage has the same effect on me. Especially when there is a star slapped on the side of the airplane. I told the kids to do the "salute" and they totally didn't have a clue what I was saying. So to clarify I said, "you know, like....I'm in the Lord's army....YES SIR!" Annnnnnd that's what got it.
Teaching our children national pride one Vacation-Bible-School song at a time.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Finding Patriotism on Foreign Soil
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Anthony has to remind me about little boy buttons and what it takes to push them. Way to go Brandon! Yay for a fun FREE visit!
You crack me up. I hate hide and seek for that very reason. It starts out as an innocent game and then next thing you know, someone's lost on a Korean War ship. Same old story. Looks like you guys had a blast!
So on the subject of national pride...at the 5K last weekend, they sang the National Anthem before it started. And I realized that was probably the first time my children had heard that song. Oops!
Post a Comment