Wednesday, January 13, 2010

February, oh February

I know, it's still January.

But let me get a little ahead of myself and inform you of one of our new goals for 2010. Well...really just February of 2010.
A few months ago we were convicted about how much money we spend on eating out. Let me defend myself real quick and say that I do cook quite a bit, and we really don't eat out THAT much compared to the average American (I think.) But still, as a challenge to ourselves and in an effort to save money, live more conservatively, and use our resources wisely, we're committing to only eating stuff that we've bought from the grocery store for that week! YIKES! I know, it's going to be tough. Tough for me to steer clear of DQ Blizzards and tough for Brandon to avoid the pull of a vanilla latte at the coffee shop. None the less, we're going to attempt to do this. Granted, we have picked the shortest month of the year for this endeavor AND we're coming off of an eating out high with our families over the past few weeks, but we're sticking to it. And we're hoping to make it a yearly commitment. So look for lots of new recipes posted on here over the next several weeks!
The reason I'm posting this now is to give you an opportunity to say you'll join us! :) Maybe not for the whole month, but just whatever you think you can commit to. So, if you're up for it, join us for a month of meals at home!

6 comments:

Sara Beth said...

Don't forget my http://market2meal.blogspot.com for some ideas while you're doing this. What a great idea! Too bad we'll be on the road a lot and have to do some eating out! Including HK, where we'll be sure to grab some Indian food for you!

The Reeds said...

I'll be out of town part of the time- but we try to eat at home most of the time and eat out once a week. :( I love to eat out. jacob keeps me honest though!

The Porters said...

That's such a good idea. We did something similar but chose one meal a week to eat out (like right after church or before small group). This gave us a small break. It's about time for us to try it again. It definitely helped me to make a meal list for the week. There's no stress over what to make that night and no problem with missing ingredients. Good luck to you guys and I'll be watching for some recipes!!

Merissa said...

This is an area we struggle with too! I don't think we out as much as most people do either, but we still end up spending too much on food. We have a budgeted amount we spend on food each week- we take out the cash for the whole week- when it's gone it's gone! Good luck on the self control and we might think about joining you for the month!

Merissa said...

Just wanted to remind you that you all are welcome to come to the beach and stay with us. I've got at least one pack n' play and a high chair you can use!

Anonymous said...

The Lewis would be happy to be you taste testers on one of those new recepies!