Monday, May 18, 2009

Of Hammocks & V-Family

A hammock? really? Does anyone ever really want a hammock for their birthday? Lo and behold...my husband does. So I trekked over to REI one day by myself and scoured the place high and lo for an ENO double-nest hammock and accompanying slap straps. (I'll suck up my pride and say that you really should check these out...they're pretty cool!)
But before said trip, our awesome neighbors, the V-Family, decided they wanted to go in on this cool purchase for Brandon. So, in very cool stealth style, we've been hiding the purchase for a few weeks...until saturday night.
Second part of the story... 
If you know my husband at all, you'll know it's not unlike him to request a "practice" birthday cake. His birthday isn't until the end of the month, but he thinks it's cool to go ahead and get in a practice cake a few weeks in advance, even if the cake might be different than the one I'd actually make for his birthday. Of course, it's his way of getting 2 b-day cakes in one year. So, indulging him again this year, I told him I'd do his "practice" birthday cake on saturday and we'd have it that night. 
Now join story #1 and #2... V-family, Bek & Kev, and Eden and I had a surprise 2 weeks early birthday party for Brandon on saturday night! He got a cool hammock, a nice and very unexpected surprise, and a practice birthday cake 2 weeks in advance. He was pretty thrilled. He and Eden went out on Sunday afternoon to test out the hammock behind our apt. This is our view out of our back porch:

Same picture...just cropped for better viewing of the three...Brandon, Eden, and new ENO hammock.


Ok...Third part of the blog story.
V-family is actually the main reason we had a party 2 weeks early. They leave us this week for new and exciting adventures! After 7 weeks with them in VA and a year with them here, we're having trouble coping with this as we've truly come to appreciate our time with them! We've gotten pretty accustomed to our Friday evening ritual of Settlers of Catan:


But I think Eden might miss them the most. There isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't talk about the guys (V-Family kiddos). She knows them all by name (adapted a little Eden-style), and really I think she'd prefer to play with them over any kiddo her own age. She loves them!! I dread the day that she bangs on their apt door expecting them to come see her!

We will miss you sweet V-Family!! 

2 comments:

Bekah Schaub said...

I was always appreciative that they filled the Settlers of Catan void so Kev and I didn't have to step up. We might now though... if there's a least a cookie or brownie or something in the deal. :)
(Isn't it cool when He delivers on the promise of a non-family family.)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Fun!! That Hammock is cool! Sorry your friends are leaving! If we were there we'd help fill that Catan void!