Tuesday, December 09, 2008

In DESPERATE Need of some Snow

We miss snow.

We miss the shimmering whiteness that blinds you when it covers the ground.
We miss the *crunch* that it makes as you walk over it.
We miss snow ice cream.
We miss snow balls.
We miss snow.

And it's been a long time since we've seen it. While in the Big Chicken we saw snow flakes twice. And both times it lasted for a mere 5 minutes...obviously not covering anything.
Since we've been in NC it has snowed twice. Once for 5 minutes or so. And once it was enough to leave a tiny layer on the cars one morning...melting away by 9 a.m.

Snow has a strange effect on us. It doesn't really feel like Christmas until the first big snow, so obviously as it was 60 degrees today, it doesn't feel like Christmas around these parts. And I find it a little depressing.
Thinking back to my childhood, I can remember times that my dad would pull us on the sled behind Cookie, my brother's horse with a little too much "mmmph" in his step...perfect for sled pulling. I can remember digging tunnels through snow drifts 5 feet high out beside the barn. I remember making snow men taller than we were...leaving an eery snow man grave yard a week or so later. And in high school I remember on more than one occasion having to dig my truck out of snow drifts in order to make it to school on time (the regularly scheduled time). 
*Side note...around here they let out school for a High Wind Advisory with wind gusts up to what the average is on any given day in Amarillo. And that day that we had the light "dusting" of snow, yeah, no school. weird.

Anyways. We miss snow. And if we don't see snow this year we're going to make a special trip up north. Where? We don't care. We'll drive north until we see snow. And then we'll stay there for awhile. We'll let Eden get out and roll around in it. We'll let her eat it and laugh about how cold it is. We'll make snow angels, throw snow balls, and accidentally track some into the car leaving little puddles on the floor boards. And maybe we'll pack our poor and neglected boots and skis just in case we run across a decent ski resort on this end of the U.S.

Am I beginning to sound bitter?
Maybe I am.
I hope it snows during the 2 weeks we're in Texas.

4 comments:

Merissa said...

I don't really dig snow but I do agree that this milder weather is just not feeling "tis the season"!

Summer said...

You're gonna be mad. Not only did we have a thin layer on our cars and rooftops this morning, but right now I'm in my office...and one of my co-workers with a window just said it's snowing! Not really sticking, but still...

The Porters said...

I totally agree that we're in need of some snow. In the 3 years we've been here, it snowed 2 days that I remember (enough to stay on the ground and somewhat play in), and that was a few months after we moved here. I hope for your sake that it does snow while you're in Texas! Bring us back some!

Damon and Erin said...

I AGREE!! Cayden asks every single day if it is going to snow! We are ready for some fun snow to play in!! Maybe we will all get to play together when you guys are here! Woo hoo!!