What I had promised would be a series of "going home" posts might be a little disappointing! After lots of packing, 10 bags later, our time here is quickly drawing to a close...leaving little time for blogger land. But alas, I promised...so here's a look forward in to all things American that we're about to dive into head first.
Things we're looking forward to: (in no particular order :)
- family. well ok, this one is obviously first and foremost. can't wait to see everyone!!
- a dishwasher! I mean, we've had a many great life-altering decisions as we're washing and drying dishes, but seriously...good ole whirlpool never looked so good.
- food. food. and more food. I could write an entire blog of just restaurants or homemade dishes that our bellies are craving, but that would take entirely too much time. This is one of the many things we discuss when we're washing dishes..."Which restaurant will we go to first?" we like that game. At the top of the list: Arby's. Abuelo's. Cattle Exchange. can you hear my stomach growling?!
- shopping malls that carry bigger than stick figured sized clothing. We're not huge people, but I never would have thought that buying a shirt could be so complicated...and shoes for that matter. I've not had a new pair of shoes in 2 years because there are none here in my size. NONE. granted even in America it's a little difficult to find shoes that fit my gargantuan feet...much less in Asia-land....which brings us to another point (maybe a little this-post-unrelated) We're going to totally be out of style. We've been wearing the same clothes for 2 years. Which is normal for Asia-land...but not america. There's some sort of un-written American rule about having to shop for new clothes every so often. May I just interject at this point that we're not looking forward to that little piece of America that makes you feel like you have to keep up with the Jones'sss. So if you see us wearing the same shirt 4 days in a row, just know that that is Chiner rubbing off on us. :)
- Bek & Kev's wedding. We're sooooo excited for them!! But honestly, we feel like we're getting a pretty good deal out of it too!! My sister is marrying Brandon's best friend. Really, it's soooo convenient for us!! :) But...we know it's not about us.
-sandwich meats. no need to say more.
- our own car. absolutely. can't. wait. The freedom that you get from having your own car to take you places...nothing can replace that. We're sick of having to depend on someone else to take us places. We're ready to get behind the wheel and just drive ourselves. We're ready to have a big truck bed to put stuff in. Neither one of us has driven a car in 2 years, with the exception of Brandon's occasional go-cart race. That being said...Eden is soooooo probably not ready for a car seat. I'm afraid she may scream when she discovers she can't sit in my lap during a sunday drive.
- Labor. and not the labor and delivery kind. but the kind of manual, physical, outdoor, manly, grunt labor. (can you tell this one is for Brandon.) There's some sort of male energy drawn from laying fence posts. mowing. moving something big. building a large something. shoot...Brandon might just dig a hole in the backyard just because he can. It's so therapeutic.
- yards. backyards. There's not much grass in Chiner...especially around homes. One of our friends here was looking at our pictures and she said, "oh! !hat is your own lawn?!?!" So yes. We've been without a good patch of grass for quite some time now.
- we're a little torn on this last one. Occasionally we miss our clothes dryer. The fluffiness that is our clothes when we take them out. We miss that. However, we don't miss the extra electricity it costs us to run it. Our clothes dryer here is free. but the drawback is, it makes our jeans all crunchy. We shouldn't have to hear ourselves putting on jeans. So...maybe some days we're looking forward to it. Maybe some days we aren't.
ok...I guess that's about all we can come up with for now. we could go on and on if we thought about it longer. But our 10th bag still needs some attention. maybe in the next post it won't be "what we're looking forward to..." but "what we're enjoying!!"


1 comment:
wow! it's really happening! Hope you have a good trip! I'm looking forward to most of those things too... except the labor thing... I love that we can hire a guy to do anything here and it only costs a couple of dollars :) haha! I"m not lazy :) I just like to conserve my energy for fun things :) haha!
Post a Comment