Thursday, August 23, 2007

A trip to a nearby district

The other day a friend and I (Brandon) went to tour another district in the city that we live in. We took a bus there (5.5 kuai=$0.75) which took an hour. The 5 minute taxi to the bus station actually cost more than going to this other district. On the way there we drove though a closer district that has become more developed. They had a KFC and a McDonald's. The crazy thing about the McDonald's is that there was a drive-up window! I have never seen this in any Asian city, even the extremely large ones! I'm still not sure how many bikes can be in line at the drive-up window at one time. I am wondering if they actually stay in line in the drive-up. If it is anything like going inside to order your food, there will be too many wrecks and traffic jams to count. I tell you it is crazy going to McDonald's here. Many times I just feel like a cow being herded into a feedyard. It stinks, there is a ton of pushing, and of course, there are no lines. This is one thing you must get used to here, THERE ARE NEVER ANY LINES!!!


OK back to the story. So we get to the district and climb this ancient wall (kind of like the great wall, but not as great) Here is a picture of the not so famous great wall and the stone sea in front of the great wall (the pathway is not the great wall, it is in the very back, sorry no up close picture).


Then I played Chinese chess with really old man.



I like my hat better.


Then my friend and I saw a sign that said we could do some "summer skiing" down a grass hill. When we got there we found out it was just sleds so we decided to do it... without thinking how we would get back up.


So then we had to come back up.


We also went to a daoist temple where we were able to share with some people.


It was a very good trip. Hopefully I can take April and Eden with me the next time I go. There was far too much walking involved this time to include a 35 weeks pregnant lady.

2 comments:

Anthony and Sharon said...

You say it was the walking that kept April at home ey? I think it was because you were scared she'd beat you down the grass sledding thing...all that extra weight up front...they were sure to win:)

Oh, and our McD's here all have drive thrus (but in Thailand they didn't seem to...go figure) But folks here "queue up" nicely so staying in line in the drive-thru isn't a big deal. Actually, the one near our house just got a speaker box put in a couple weeks ago! Now THAT is new...they had a guy standing beside the box telling people to order there...it was great.

Bekah Schaub said...

Dude... that's a lot of steps. Did you do that more than once?
hehe